Three years ago I started a little tradition in my family that I plan to do each year. It is a Christmas Eve Box filled with a few goodies for my kids.
They get to open the box on Christmas Eve evening, and I find this a wonderful way to start our family Christmas celebration.
This doesn’t just have to be for young children; it can be for older kids, Mum and Dad or perhaps that certain special someone in your life. All you do is make the gifts and treats to suit the age of the receiver. Christmas is coming so its time to starting planning….
What you need:
- Box to place all the gifts in – you can get ones like I used from discount shops or Amazon.
- Pyjamas – I use Christmas themed pajamas for my kids to pop on after their evening bath. See here for themed pajamas for the whole family!
- A Christmas movie or a favorite movie.
- Juice box or hot chocolate
- Reindeer Food – I just add oats to a zip lock bag and the kids throw the oats out onto the lawn for Santa’s reindeer.
- Card and Colour pens for my children to write a note for Santa.
Other ideas include:
- Christmas story like this one
- CD of Christmas songs
- Puzzles and games
- Cookies for Santa – Carrot for Reindeers
You can do one box per child or combine everything into one big box. I place all my kids’ things in one big box. I then pop it under the tree ready for Christmas Eve.
On Christmas Eve at whatever time suits your family, the kids can open their box. My children open theirs in the early evening, they then have their baths and get dressed in their Christmas pajamas.
After their bath, they write their letter to Santa and throw the reindeer food on the lawn. We then grab our treats and drink and settle in for our Christmas Movie before our children go off to bed.
What a great way to start the Xmas Celebrations – what things does your family do on Christmas Eve?